Oct 3, 2011

Recycled Bat and Pumpkin

Halloween is my favorite time of year! I have craft ideas I've been saving up all year long until October rolls around and we can finally pull them out. So far this week, we've made a little recycled vampire bat and a festive pumpkin that will make a great centerpiece for Thanksgiving as well.


For the pumpkin, you can use any size brown paper bag. We used craft paper that was used to pack some items that arrived in the mail. I balled up some of the craft paper and wrapped a square piece around it which I tied tightly at the top with a piece of yarn. I let my daughter paint the pumpkin and once it was dry, we used a brown chenille stem for the vines and some green construction paper for pumpkin leaves. I just pushed the tip of the chenille stems through the base of the leaves before curling the ends with a pencil.


The bat is made from a toilet paper tube. Fold the top of the tube in half to create a crease on each side, then fold the two top sides down into each other to make ear shapes. Paint the entire bat black. Once dry, you can glue on googly eyes or paper eyes or you can paint them on. We used red glitter and glue to make sparkly, spooky eyes. Little scraps of white paper glue on for the teeth. The wings are just hands traced on construction paper and cut out. You could also make some super cute owls the same way using brown construction paper and leaving the toilet paper tube unpainted.

No comments:

Post a Comment