Dec 25, 2010

Super Soup

Even food can be educational! Soup makes a fast and fun meal that kids love and you can make with little effort. Soup is a great food because you can put almost anything in it, giving it almost limitless potential for nutritious ingredients.

I buy organic ingredients from the dry bins at the natural food store. This works out to be about $1 per meal for both my daughter and me. If you don't live in Hawaii, it might be even cheaper for you. My daughter loves the alphabet and number noodles. Here's how I make my ultra-easy Super Soup:

1/4 cup dried red lentils
1/3 cup dried split pea soup mix
1/4 cup Eden Organic vegetable alphabet noodles
2 cups water
garlic salt to taste (about 1 tsp if your mixture is 1/3 salt)

Bring the water, lentils and split pea soup mix to a boil, then reduce to simmer or a low boil. Be careful it's not too hot or the pea soup mix will foam up and boil over. Boil approx. 10 minutes. Then add the alphabet noodles. Boil another 10 minutes and serve.


photo by cherrycher

No comments:

Post a Comment